By Theran Galisa | Staff Writer
During this Spring 2021 semester you can take advantage of different services and resources KapCC has to offer.
KapCC’s Lama Library offers many different resources and services to enrolled students. Its Spring 2021 building hours are Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. The library offers Wi-Fi access, study space, computer lab use, book and laptop loans. To use the Wi-Fi all you need is your UH Login Information you would normally use for Laulima or other UH related websites.
As of now, the maximum capacity of the library is 35 until further notice. The first floor is open for student access, the second floor is closed. The library offers limited laptop rentals to students on a first-come, first-serve basis. Only one device can be borrowed by a student at a time. The library has more than 40 laptops so they are usually available to loan. Students can choose to borrow a laptop for the entirety of the semester and will be due on May 18. You must bring your KapCC or state ID to the Circulation Desk during library hours to borrow a laptop.
Before you go to the Lama Library, make sure you take note of these guidelines
- Check-in to LumiSight UH beforehand. You can check in for free via the app you can download from the Apple Store and/or Google Play Store. For those without an access to a mobile device you can check in here.
- Wear a face mask
- Bring a photo ID
- Check in with the front desk at the library
- No appointment is needed (open to UH System students and personnel)
KapCC offers many different tutoring options to assist with schoolwork or for an upcoming exam. Here are some of the different online peer tutoring/mentoring programs KapCC offers for this Spring 2021 semester.
KA PŌHAKU Kihi Pa’a Peer Mentoring
At Ka Pōhaku Kihi Paʻ they offer student peer mentoring by combining Native Hawaiian knowledge and modern science to give aid to students seeking assistance in fields such as Hawaiian Studies/Language, Math 103 and above, writing for all levels, speech, and more.
- Due to COVID-19, all appointments will be made and held online. You can make an appointment with a tutor through this link.
STEM ʻImi Naʻauao Peer Mentor Program
Imi Naʻauao offers free student peer mentoring to KCC students seeking assistance in STEM fields such as Biology, Botany, Chemistry, Computer Science, Engineering, Math, Micro Biology, and Physics.
- Due to COVID-19, all appointments will be made and held online. To make an appointment with a student mentor, click here, scroll to the bottom of the screen and select what class, date, time, and which mentor you would like to meet with.
The Study Hub
The Study Hub offers free peer tutoring to students seeking assistance in courses such as Math 75 and above, ACC 201 and 202, BUS 250, Writing, Japanese and Korean language and more.
- The Study Hub also lets you do something called an essay Drop-off where you submit a draft of your essay to a peer tutor for it to be reviewed. The tutor will provide you with feedback and revisions.
- Due to COVID-19, all appointments will be made and held online via Zoom or phone. To make an appointment with a peer tutor, click here
- Tutor.com is a free service offered to all University of Hawai‘i students seeking assistance in Math, English, History, Foreign Languages, Nursing and Healthcare, Physics, Biology, Science, Business, Computer Science, Social Sciences. They also offer an essay drop-off service where you can submit a draft of your paper for review from a tutor.
- Writing help is available for all courses
- Connect with over 3,000 qualified tutors 24/7
If you would like to access Tutor.Com you can click here.